Monday, August 17, 2009

HDMI w/ Optical Cable and PS3?

May be...
  • Need help getting 5.1 Surround Sound and keeping HD graphics for my PS3 using an old receiver with no HDMI Output.



    Alright, I have an old Sony receiver with no HDMI output. I'm using a Samsung HD TV which supports HDMI but recently I became interested in installing some of my old surround sound speakers along with my PS3/TV to enhance my gaming experience.



    Is it possible for me to get surround sound on my PS3 with an old receiver? If so, how? Would I have to buy an optical cable? How would I make my settings on my PS3 and how would I configure the wires?



    Thanks a bunch!
  • The PS3 does not require you to use the HDMI for both video and sound. You can use the HDMI for video, but use the Optical or RCA for sound if you wish. Sony did this for people like you who want to enjoy the PS3 on receivers that don't support HDMI. You just go to the Sound Settings and choose the connection type you want to use, just like the Display settings.



    Besides, an HDMI is not required for 5.1 surround sound. Hell, the PS3's RCA cables will give you 5.1 surround, let alone Optical.



    EDIT: Do you really need step-by-step instructions for the PS3 menu setup? I mean, its pretty straightforward.



    As for the actual cable connection, you hook up the video cable (HDMI) to the TV and the whatever sound cable you choose to your A/V receiver. You don't connect the sound cable to the TV unless you want the sound from your TV, and frankly, I don't know why you'd want TV sound if you're using an A/V receiver.
  • you use an optical cable and select the hdmi as video output and optical cable as audio output in settings

    connect both cables to the ps3 then the hdmi cable to the tv and the optical cable to the amp then go to settings and select which output to use for video and audio respectively
  • No comments: