Thursday, November 6, 2008

How do I persuade my Playstation 3 to deliver sound through my surround sound system (home theater)?

May be...


  • Here's the issue: I have a 6 year-old "home theater in-a-box". There is a receiver that is also a dvd changer. In the back is a "digital coax in". So I went out and bought the following in order to connect my PS 3 to this receiver/dvd player:



    1) an optical cable

    2) a digital coaxial audio cable

    3) an optical/coaxial converter



    Here's what I did: I hooked up the optical cable to the PS3 "optical out". Then the other end of this cable went into the "optical in" on the converter box. I hooked up the digital coaxial cable to the "coaxial in" on the converter box. I hooked up the other end of this cable to the "coaxial in" on my receiver/dvd player.

    My Playstation 3 is hooked up to my tv with an HDMI cable.

    Once all this was done, I went into the PS3 menu and adjusted my audio settings to "optical cable".

    Now, when I try to play a game there is no audio, only video. What could I POSSIBLY be doing wrong???????????? I knew this wasn't going to go smoothly, and I was right.

    If I could get this hooked up the right way I would (esentially) have a Blu Ray surround sound system, and that would be SWEET. Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong??????????????
  • It seems like you did everything right. I'm assuming that you meant that you hooked up the digital coax cable to the "coaxial out" on the converter box. I know most of these converters are require electrical power, so make sure it's plugged into the wall if need be. I don't think the problem is with the PS3 , since it followed your instructions by disabling the audio part of the HDMI cable. Unplug your optical cable from the converter box and make sure that you see a the light coming out of it. If you see that light , we know that the PS3 transmittiting the audio and the optical cable channeling the audio are not to blame. Also make sure that any coax in settings on your home theater system to use the coax in rather thanthe typical RCA jacks are set correctly. Unfortunately, thats all I got. Just narrow down what is working and if possibe run to radio shack , buy an extra cable/converter box and keep the receipt in case it wasn't the problem. Good luck
  • your setup looks fine. your receiver shld be in the right mode. Not just 'aux'. Mine says 'aux opt' for optical audio. Chek what other audio modes your receiver has. Maybe you have 'coax' mode or something coz i also have 'coax'. Try all audio modes that you have. Good luck!

    Cheers!
  • No comments: