Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Can I play...on a Playstation 3?

May be...
  • A while back, maybe a year, my PlayStation 2 broke. Well actually, I broke it. I didn't mean to, but it only worked sometimes and usually it would say "Disc Read Error" so I kept punching it or beating the crap out of it. And now, it won't play ANYthing at all.



    It will play PS1 games, but it won't play any PS2 games or DVDs. I told my dad about this, and he ordered a PS3.



    My favorite games are Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City and San Andreas (I'm 15, what do you expect? :P) and what I'm asking is if I can play these games on a PlayStation 3.



    I have many more games that I want to play, but the only games that I can't go live without are the PS2 GTA games and I need to know if I can play them on a PlayStation 3.



    Thanks for the help! :)
  • it depends on which PS3 you have.



    the 20GB has almost full backwards compatibility.

    the 60GB has a little more backwards compatibility and is the best choice overall.

    the 80GB has less backwards compatibility then the other 2, but can play a large percentage still.

    the 40GB has no backwards compatibility. this will never change.



    but, they can all play PS1 games.
  • yes, you can play any playstation game on it. dvds, cds and blue ray hi def movies also.
  • It depends. If you have an 80GB PS3 then it will play most PS2 games. You can use Sony's website to check which will play. (All GTA games play with no major problems.)



    http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/Co...



    If you have a 40GB PS3, then it will play no PS3 games.



    I would suggest you wait until June, since Sony is releasing a 80GB bundle PS3 with Metal Gear Solid 4 and a Dualshock 3 controller. Even if you don't want the game, the bundle is the same price as the regular 80GB so it is a great deal. And that version can play most PS2 games. It comes out June 12.
  • as long as its not the basic 40gig model, is what i'm hearing. for specific game compatibility, see the link below.



    also, i've heard rumors that the new model ppl are waiting for, while a great package, possibly could have PS2 compatibility removed from it! it depends on how sony decides to best compete with microsoft who has had to lower the xbox360 prices due to their hd-dvd drive being deemed worthless by changes in the market.
  • Well, it depends on which model PS3 you're getting. You can tell by looking at how big the hard drive is. If you've got a 40GB model, it doesn't have any support for PS2 games, unfortunately. If you've got an 80GB model, then there's a website you can look up the status of PS1 and PS2 games on. According to it, the GTA games should work. You can check out any other games you want to know about there, too.
  • You can play some ps2 games on the ps3 only if it is the 80gig version the 40 gigabyte ps3 will only play ps3 games, blu ray dvds, dvds, cds. I know it sucks.Its hard to find a 80gig version. I had to buy a 40gig, I was a little dissapointed for awhile. But I found out how good the games look and it was all worth it.You can also upgrade your hardrive for more storage.GTA4 comes out the 29th. If you wait a little bit they are rereleasing the 80gig version with a copy of the new Metal Gear Solid and a rumble controller which they don't currently have for the ps3.Sony also offers upgrades for the PS3 if you are hooked up to the internet, so one day they may offer an upgrade to play old ps2 games.
  • yes
  • Yea they will work on the ps3 and any dvd you can find, you can get an action replay max and play nintendo super nintendo sega game cube xbox games on the ps3 also...anyway I did some research if there are any xbox360 games you like put the system files on a disk (xbox 360 system files) and pop it in the ps3 and upload the files (look it up its a bit of a process) and you can play any xbox360 games on your ps3..like halo...
  • YES SIR YOU CAN PLAY PS2 GAMES ON A PS3 60 OR 80 GB. WENT TO BEST BUY LOOKING FOR THE PS3 SYSTEM AND I ASK A PERSON WORKING IN GAMING THE SAME QUESTION. AND I THINK I WILL SAVE ABOUT

    I DON'T WANT THE 60GB I AM LOOKING TO BUY THE 80GB.
  • Most likely you need to replace the PS2's lens. As for backwards compatibility of PS3 - 20GB, 60GB and 80GB versions play PS2 games. 40GB doesn't.
  • why spend money on a playstation 3 when you can get it for free? just go to this site and complete a few quick tasks and they'll send you one - at no charge!
  • No comments: